Tuesday 18 June 2013

WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE

TRAVELLING DOWN THE DREAM STREAM


"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
(Lennon/McCartney)

Todays challenge comes from a friend I met as a teenager doing singing/dancing/acting classes with - Leanne B. I have based this picture on the many bridges I saw on a trip last year to the UK and Europe. I think this one reminds me of Scotland: lush green, dreamy light and very romanticised.  So in keeping with that feeling I chose to do this challenge in ink with a splash of watery colour. 

Every time I put colour into an image, or put pen or pencil to paper I am learning more and more about what I can do - and also what I am yet to learn. There are times when I feel a bit crude in this craft of illustration. But I remember back to my teenage years doing performing arts with Leanne and I probably was a bit crude of craft back then as a performer. Much water under the bridge later, here I am teaching performing arts to young people and still performing. I'm not saying I am a super star of performing arts, but I have confidence and belief in my work and feel more of the flow in that space and less of the what-am-I-doing-what-do-I-do-next feeling that comes when your head is making decisions without the skill.

It's all practice isn't it? 

What we start today is just a seed for what the future may bring. 

All we have to do is decide to get in that boat and head in the direction of our dreams.  This journey of being a design student this year isn't an easy one, but it is rewarding and satisfying to feel I am at least in the boat to becoming a professional illustrator. All I can do is row and row and hope each stroke I will become more confident, more skilled - and then let the current of opportunity drift me towards the right shores...



No comments:

Post a Comment