Thursday 6 June 2013

LITTLE BITS OF MAGIC

FAERIES & BUTTERFLIES


"Over Hill, Over Dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere"

Puck, A Middsummer Nights Dream (William Shakespeare).

And so continues my drawing challenge. I am noticing a distinct theme/style coming through after this first week of my challenge. Perhaps because I am using the same process of drawing: pen on paper, scanned in and digitally coloured. There is a definite childlikeness to these images. Which is a nice revelation for me as when I draw from real life (as I have done mostly in the past) my drawings are more photorealistic in a traditional way. When I draw from my imagination the shapes and colours are bold and cartoon like. I am embracing this!

Todays drawing challenge comes from my cousin's beautiful little daughter Alice. She is still just a toddler. But she clearly has GREAT taste as she asked me to draw faeries and butterflies. 

I am a little obsessed with both of these. In fact there was a time when every birthday I seemed to be given presents all related to butterflies (the faeries came later). Like many people I love the symbol of the butterfly for its promise of a new life (even though in reality butterflies have a relatively short existence!) And who can resist the colour of them? Not me, that's for sure!

To me faery magic is simple the wonder of nature herself. And we appease the faeries when we stop and appreciate this - from the littlest new flower bud to the largest cloud in the sky. 

Hope you spot the magic in your day!








No comments:

Post a Comment