Wednesday 19 June 2013

DOING WHAT YOU WANT

CATS CATS CATS


“What's your name,' Coraline asked the cat. 'Look, I'm Coraline. Okay?'
'Cats don't have names,' it said.
'No?' said Coraline.
'No,' said the cat. 'Now you people have names. That's because you don't know who you are. We know who we are, so we don't need names.” 
― Neil GaimanCoraline


Today's drawing challenge comes from Bridgette B. She asked that I draw her cat: “Hi Lou, please draw my cat Louie looking at me with regret as he sits on the neighbours fence. I can use that in my blog” (Bridgette B) I have a feeling that this might soon become a bit of a theme - drawing for people's blogs.

Bridgette is an actor, director, writer and maker of Baggage Productions - an independent and wonderful Melbourne theatre company. As Bridgette is a writer I wasn't surprised that she gave me not only a cat and herself to draw, but set a whole scene out - including the emotion of her cat! I love the individuality of this request.

I am an avid cat lover. I throw my hand in the air and admit it. I'm smitten with the kitten. I love animals of all kind, but there's just something about the individuality of the feline folk that strikes the right chord with me. It's often said that dogs have masters, cats have staff. Ha! I sometimes think this with my own feline friend. But I must say I appreciate that with cats nothing can be expected and nothing is certain. They do what they like, when they like. And as long as you are not a mouse, grasshopper, lizard (or any other such "sporting game") then you may be lucky to find a cat friend. But it may take time for them to find you. They seem content in their own skin and flaunt their individuality and all it's spectrum for all to see. They stand proudly in there own skins.

I am learning to do the same.



2 comments:

  1. Lou, I love Louie on the fence looking at me, that's exactly how he looks too, the little monkey!

    I think that looks like me too!

    Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you like it. Thanks for the challenge Bridgette. Really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete