Thursday 3 October 2013

Pressing Play

"It is a happy talent to know how to play"
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Today I drew a picture of a little indigenous boy swimming with a leather back turtle. I guess I was dreaming of my home state Queensland and warmer weather and sunny days to come as the Summer approaches.

This picture also reminds me of the wonder of playing freely - with no gadgets, no money, no extra tools. Just a sense of freedom, adventure and enjoying what's on hand.

I have recently been struggling with the concept of money (or the lack thereof to be exact!) As a student  this year I am the poorest in pocket I think I have ever been. I have had to be resourceful and extra frugal with my budget to pay bills, keep a roof over my head and eat three meals a day. But with this challenge and the inspiration that comes from learning a new skill, I am also the richest in spirit. The currency that enriches my heart this year is the faculty of wonder. Seeing the world differently. Every day I try and keep my eyes open for inspiration for possible drawings. And as I am out and about in the world it's always the children that keep my heart the most happy. Particularly seeing them play. My daily bike ride is always a game of "Look for the Magic". If I cant see it - I look for the children out playing. I guess I am lucky to have the blessing of working (read: playing!) with kids as my casual job as a drama teacher. You don't need much to laugh or to share magic with kids. Just a sense of making do, a good sense of humour and your imagination.




No comments:

Post a Comment